- HomeAn Cuan
- About usGeneral info
- An Cuan
- Counselling and Therapy services
- Room Rental
- Our ServicesFull List of Services
- Depression Symptoms and Treatment
- Psycho / Educational / Dyslexia Assessment
- Anxiety Attacks Treatment
- Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD)
- Stress Management
- Couple Counselling
- Emotionally Focused Therapy for Couples (E.F.T.C.)
- Family therapy
- Learning Disibilities
- Marriage / Relationship / Couple Counselling
- Bereavement and Loss
- Eating Disorders
- Cognitive Behavioural Therapy (CBT)
- Parent and Infant Counselling Services
- Psychological and Psychotherapy Services
- Child Counselling and Psychotherapy Services
- Art Therapy
- Employee Assistance Programme
- Low cost services
- ArticlesArticles of interest
- ContactGet in touch
Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD)
OCD is an anxiety disorder where people have unwanted and repeated thoughts, feelings, ideas, sensations (obsessions), or behaviour that makes them feel driven to to do something (compulsions).
Often the person carries out the behaviours to get rid of the obsessive thoughts but this only provides temporary relief. Not performing the obsessive rituals can cause great anxiety. These obsessions or compulsions are not due to any medical illness or drug use, and they cause major distress or interfere with everyday life.
Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Treatment
OCD is usually treated with medication and therapy. Cognitive Behavioural Therapy (CBT) is useful – the patient is exposed many times to the situation that triggers the the obsessive thought , and learns gradually to tolerate the anxiety and so resist the urge to perform the compulsion.
Other forms of therapy can help you learn ways to reduce stress, to reduce anxiety and inner conflicts.